Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The tyranny of distance & Bemuda shorts in Bars

Monday, March 26, 2007


So the NSW Elections were held back in Aus on the weekend... Excellent result noted for Labour. May it bode well for the Federal elections later this year.

One bone of contention about our Aussie voting system - I duly registered at the consulate over here to vote. Funny thing is I still don't have the postal vote form, nor my fellow Aussie house buddy...told they will probably arrive today. So what does that say about the weight of our votes 'in absentee'? Guess the Aus government doesn't realise just HOW MANY of us ex-pats are actually over here!

A simple recent E-vite for two film type pals birthday dinner party has garnered a whopping 68 RSVPs in the two days since it was posted. It's a better response than to a funding party celebration at the AFC in Sydney. Hope the ol' restaurant can cope with the influx of aussie film types... there are so many of us over here right now!

So, even if I miss beroccas, vita-weats, vegemite and the occasional tim tam I certainly am not at a loss if I need to hear a gaggle of aussie accents if so required.

Went and watched a few music gigs on the weekend with house buddie JJ, and in fact found myself in a strange outlying area of the valley called Northridge in a bar listening to of all things 'Pretentious', a Pretenders cover band(excellent covers actually go to http://www.pretentiousrocks.com/). Watching the parade of wacky hairdo's and strange and wonderful dancing styles the women exhibited can only outdone by the daily game of 'how much surgery has she had done'. Rare is the un-touched woman. The blokes seem to be holding their own against the power to transform their looks (thus far).

And I also read Botox parties are becoming popular in Aus' supplanting the tupperwear party! The virus of immovable faces is spreading...

Well here in LA there will be drive-in surgeries soon I'm sure. You can drive in to get food, booze and also go to the bank - An automatic teller machine in a driveway, that is how glued to their car seats some Yanks are. And they wonder about obesity... Mind you La La land has an equal split of anorexic of course due to the main business in town. The Lollipop people have a strong contingent. Makes for an interesting polemic on the streets.

But the weirdest and inexplicable thing that I have noted is the American love of the 'shorts'. Bouncing around on the dance floor last weekend I counted 5 adults (male and female) wearing shorts. I ask you, how do they ever convince themselves that shorts are the thing to wear down to the pub on a Saturday night???

It's a strange and wonderful world...

Currently listening:
The Pretenders - Greatest Hits
By The Pretenders
Release date: 03 October, 2000

No comments:

Post a Comment