Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Neverland, Superbowl & my SSC!!!

Tuesday, February 06, 2007


Well Santa Barbara was a delight, but it was time to wean myself off the movies, and get back into real life. So I drove up to Neverland Ranch - yes good ol' Mikey Jackson's hacienda in the hills is nestled in behind SB... it just keeps getting better!

Lunched at cute 'wine town' Los Olivos and through my fav, Los Padres National Forest Passed by a swathe of families out for their Saturday morning GUNSHOOTING fun.. Unbelievable but true: Ranged along the roadside with Dad hurling out the clay pigeons while the kids cracked 'em open with their shotguns!! Meanwhile just behind (in line of sight) were pairs of the beloved condors – I couldn't look…and drove past with a benign smile on my face. It's their country…

So I cruised on down the road to Ventura. Discovered the town is actually San Buenaventura but it's been shortened for a plethora of reasons (every local has a different story, of course). Nice place for a longboard surf - this town. Stayed with Elzbet & Joe - great company. Patted and made pals with their sweet Burmese cat Fikus who really made me miss my Baba). Sigh….We supped on Napa wine, ate lovely home-cooked meals and relished organic chocolate both nights while chatting on a whole range of topics till late. I delight in learning more about California (and the States at large), and it's even more enjoyable when you find people of a similar political bent. Plus Elzbet, a marine biologist by trade, has some wonderful tales of far-flung isles. Borrowed her pushbike and pedalled along the promenade of Ventura beach in the sunshine, and then traipsed up to Ojai (pronounced Oh Hi!) for the superb taste of a freshly picked (from the tree) Californian Orange while chatting to the farmer… then onto lunch at a bikers caf.. where I was advised about the very IMPORTANT event about to take place.

It was SUPERBOWL afternoon. By 3pm nary a man could be found on the streets of any town in the US of A! All I know is that the Cubs went down big time to Colts… these iconic moments just keep on happenin'.

The morning dawned with a significantly warmer surge to it, and I headed down the 101 to the big smoke of LA. Met up with Jac' (fresh off the plane) and the wonderfully helpful Neil at the fab' Avalon Hotel in Beverly Hills (thanks for that intro Neil!). Jac, Neil and I discussed all matters of interest to a newly arrived Oz in LA. while lounging and lunching in one of the glam poolside cabanas in the Blue on Blue Restaurant… and who should walk by but the lovely Andrew (Aurora Adviser)… So I'm off to a meeting later in the week. Now that can only be surmised as fate being very kind to me.

Popped by RSA (Hi Mr Scott walking in, as I left) to collect my mail. Lo and behold my Social Security Card (!!!) has arrived. V. excited to have this priceless document - and a Perm Res Card too. Valid till 2017. Bloody excellent work by Immigration. Staying in the Historic West Adams District with a brilliant family in an amazing home... went to sleep with the night choppers hovering overhead. Applied for a job as an Assistant to a VP at a film prod co – would make my week. Let's see what eventuates tomorrow. Anything is possible in this town…

Currently listening:
Thriller
By Michael Jackson
Release date: 16 October, 2001

No comments:

Post a Comment