Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Sunday, July 15, 2007

.....The Pursuit of Happiness

Well the past month has flown...

Back in La La and working for the Mouse - getting used to doing a 45+ hr week at an office takes just a tiny bit of adjustment. But I am the luckiest gal. Great people to work with and I can drive to work in 12 easy minutes and don't need to engage in 'riding-on-the-freeway sports' at all and can enjoy a swim or jacuzzi every evening when i get home.... believe me that's a miracle in La La!

This week I was supposed to be going back to Australia...but with all things considered:Mum is recovering well now, tickets are over $2400, the hacienda is packed up and selling, my Baba is gone - and there's no financially viable film work for me... I might as well stay here where I have opportunities and solidify my new life.

I am missing one very important event: Colin's birthday.

But that's just the way things are for me. Living on the other side of the planet far from the ones I love, trying to start a new life. But I'm not the first immigrant who's left their homeland, come to America and had to experience than pangs and sense of disconnection to those far away.

Had a wonderful first Independence Day. The Playgirl Mansion held an impromptu pool party, and we splashed, played, BBQ'd and supped on Marguaritas. Played bartender and kept them coming for the gang...

I love that when you want to chat about things here in the USA, an American will immediately engage in the conversation with enthusiasm. They have no qualms about holding forth on what it is to be an American, the principals pf their constitution, the current state of the nation and international relations. I think I'm lucky to have found a crew of like-minded inquisitive souls so those conversations are never too static, negative or lack-lustre. They often have different points of view - but are willing to discuss things,. It's the land of the debate after all.

And then there's NPR. National Public Radio. This is my link to the world every morning and evening on the road. I listen in to the most fascinating stories, excellent satire, cutting edge comedians, great investigative journalism, diverse points of view, inclusive philosophy and entertaining shows on the very best radio station in the country. Love it.

And these are a few of my weird and wonderful, most recent observations about America and the way of life here:

You can't buy a nail brush for love or money. Maybe it's LA but they'd rather have a pedicure than reach down and scrub their own feet. I have resorted to buying a 'potato scrubbing brush'... and having pedicures too (when in Rome).

Food-combining is an art form. Think Peanut Butter and 'Jelly' and take that into all meals and all food. I have seen peanut butter dolloped onto a pancake...oh my, oh my....

They'd rather use 'creamer' or half-n-half in their coffee than plain old milk. Creamer is an artificial white powder that creates a cloudy consistency in black coffee. Bizarre. Half-n-half is half milk/half cream.

Yet in all other food situations, after lactose, fat is regarded as the number one enemy, so 'No-fat' milk exists, and 'no-fat' yoghurt - which is actually (if you look close enough on the label) tapioca pudding, and I'll be damned if I want tapioca pudding for breakfast when I asked and paid for yoghurt.

I've handed out a few vegemite packs to take home and have on toast..that was entertaining, and they made me 'mac-n-cheese'. it's a cross-cultural learning experience every day!

There is a definite rabid concern for appearances and a willingness to use anything artificial to achieve the appearance of health or aesthetics. Ads for tanning, botox, collagen, dermabrasion, lifts, tucks, anal bleaching(what tha!!), implants and an array of bizarre sorts of cosmetic surgery fill pages and pages of magazines and the Friday newspapers.

The most bizarre ad' of the week is for a G-Spot injection which you can have done in 45 minutes (hey - in your lunch-hour) which supposedly improves your sexual drive gaLS - like sticking a needle in your twat is going to be anyway near a good-time!!!.

It's all being pushed as 'normal' and the botox and collegen brigade are growing. The natural state of play for a human body to age is considered the enemy - to be eradicated...so we few are the exception rather than the rule.

Just so don't think this is a US bashing session - there are positive aspects - The work ethic is strong. To fully engage in society is a very pro-active forward action. From the essential use of a social security number which is given at birth and they all memorize as you are asked all the time foe the last four digits at the bank, work and when buying things. The other is your zip (postcode). That is required so you can fill your car with fuel (or gas - as they call it).

And the level of automation is amazing. There are drive-through banks - yes one can lodge a deposit and sign the form with the help of vacuum channels and air-tight cylinders. You can get drive through coffee, and even a church (for a quick drive-through prayer). 'Self-serving' check-outs, and bowsers at petrol stations all make the process of filling up and shopping a fast exercise in getting in-and-out without talking to a soul. Just remember your zip code please.

The fact that I have decided to grow herbs and tomatoes makes me an anomoly here. 'Why grow when you can buy?'... but I still get a kick out of the simple things.

Like going to the Oz-Song circle gigs and seeing brilliant talent from down-under in LA. Saw the amazing Kara Grainger, Andy Clockwise, Tyrone and Danielle Gahan this past week - A great night at The Mint - that happens each month. And I have movies launches coming up in the next few weeks. It's all out there if you look for it.

And, as I get used to the helicopter fly-overs in the backyard while I lay in the pool under the palm trees, listening the cry of ambulance and fire appliance sirens heading for the 405 and some new accident, I think back to Australia.

Australian life is simpler, less automated, cleaner, fresher, more natural, relaxed, and no doubt healthier.

But I'm staying here for a while. It's fascinating!

Plus opportunities abound and life has possibilities I couldn't conceive or find in my homeland - which is tragic really. Sure i'm living on a fault-line and no doubt in one of the target infidel cities, but what's worse - going out having tried or stagnation and a slower state of play - which is the Australian thing.

Things happen fast here, and I find myself in the midst of exciting entertainment developments, and at the forefront of Web 2.0 advancement, which is fascinating stuff. Never thought I'd say that - but there you have it. I'm going corporate for a while, learning so much about business, and getting my life here on a steady track, heading up....

But don't think I've done the unthinkable and subsumed my Aussie vernacular. I am not a yankophile when it comes to accents or expressions. In fact I'm working a few phrases into the collective WDIG vernacular. An Executive who's nowhere to be found has 'gone walkabout', and a returnable object is a 'boomerang'..they'll get the hang of it. Baby steps first...

And joy of joys!!! I've discovered the Disney emergency team and Fire Brigade - who would have thought that the Mouse had his own brigade on the Lot... I love it. More on that after I've done my training. next time - some exciting news soon about a music clip & travel pics going up imminently - plus news on how craigslist list saves the day again on the computer front...

Hey check out the book I found in the artist Banksy - fan-bloody-tastic!

Currently reading:
Wall and Piece
By Banksy
Release date: 27 December, 2005

No comments:

Post a Comment