 | After braving the 405 Freeway with the crazy f**kers rocketing along at well over 70 miles an hour (while mist swirls around and the Getty Museum sits high atop a hill aglow with an eerie light) i made it home from artHAUS exhibition over in Rustic Canyon. (off Sunset Boulevard west).
Here's a concept; find a new house just completed (with utilities connected) in an incredibly ritzy (bling bling) area and then hold an art exhibition in it before it's sold. So, as the punters walk in, they're given the art price list and a flyer for the house too. A painting for $9,000, or a house for $4,500,000.00! To actually view the art you wander the empty rooms of the house...thus checking out the property. Genius...these Angelinos, they never miss an opportunity- that's for sure. Caterers cooked up a storm, and had a well stocked bar - Great marguaritas, nice wine and an array of sizzling food but it was of the meat persuasion. Why must finger food only satisfy the carnivores I ask all you chefs out there?
Anyway - onto the Art - some cool work there by photographers Stefanie Schneider and Douglas Busch, and oil paintings by Stephen Douglas...but if I do say so unbelievably overpriced, still what do I know...(yada yada). Hi and a chat to Linda Hamilton (Terminator 1 & 2) - v. cool and friendly lady.
While ambling about looking at the photos and paintings I also met a lovely artist named Ed Moses - a real classic Californian abstract artist who lives in Santa Monica, and has exhibited since the 60's (maybe earlier). Ed was was born in Long beach and has stayed here on the West Coast all his life. He's well known and a respected artist - and great to chat to.. a rough-cut diamond. Check out his work on google.
Caught up with Cat McK and Max Sharam too! - one from Sydney and one from New York - love that! Cat and I plan to go to a shooting gallery next week, and Max, well I don't know when I'll see her - she's on fire that gal, so bloody talented, looked great and holding court when I left.
Saw my first real rattlesnake(!!) this week climbing Fryman's canyon (Hi as you amble by George Clooney's casa and basketball court/club) Hacienda was salubrious and the snake-beautiful, but I wasn't going to go too close to any diamond headed creature, or George's security fence.
This week between days of working on Airhead Director's book I joined the local library and found the public pool to do my laps in until the summer sun warms the one out back.
So here's a lesson for all you Aussies paying for the privilege to swim every time you go to the pool....In Los Angeles if you are a library member (no price to join either) it's completely FREE to swim at the pool. Encourages literacy AND health.
Gotta love the LA council for thinking up and executing that scenario. And the pool is very clean, Olympic size, heated to around 90F (whatever that is in C I do not know - but it's comfortably warm enough to swim in, but not too hot for laps), the change rooms are spotless, there's a lockerroom girl on duty(even if she does have the odd nap!), free kickboards available to use, and the free showers are HOT. I love it. Very happy girl. - Found LA Story and Angels in America (6 hrs!) at the Library so that will keep me happy over the weekend... plus Jane J is back from Vegas so I'm off to see her tomorrow, and a free film festival is on over in Studio City, so better get onto it...but it's zzzz time now. |
No comments:
Post a Comment