 | Left my new found friends Malika, Nick & Carlos and drove the long haul down from San Fran.. Took the inland highway 5 this time - saw a strange and macabre scene along the way: In fact I smelt the abbatoir miles before I reached it... The sight of around 7 football fields of cattle corraled up braying in unison and waiting for their demise with the stench of death and fear was horrible. Sometimes it's good to be a vegetarian.
Crossed the seemingly endless plains with massive power and communication towers running south into the distance and far beyond the horizon. The clouds rolled overhead and by the time I made it to Ventura County, it was snowing.
I crossed from the 5 over to the 33 and journeyed into Los Padres National Forest and thrilled at the snow (although I had a few moments of sliding trepidation and sincerely hoped I didn't slide off the mountains with no chains on my wheels on the icy road).Eventually I had to stop and pick up some snow - joined a snow fight woth some locals... made me feel right at home - that first thwack of so-cold-it-burns white snowball slamming into my face!
The landscape and many colours of the grasses and red earth there was really stunning..I drove through scenic canyons and along chaparral oak-dotted hillsides. Highway 33 climbed to 7,500 feet at Pine Mountain in the Ventura County back country, behind Ojai. The views of the striking Sespe Gorge, and several wilderness areas were breath-taking - so wait for the pics.
In fact think I fell in love with the Ventura sespe, wanna go back soon -When it's warm and hike. Meantime I will be staying in Ventura for a few days at the end of the week - so time to explore then - but for now I'm happily ensconsced in Santa Barbara with ex-pat David & Sri-Lankan wife Nandita who have kindly given me a home while I'm at the SB International Film Festival.
It's rainy and cold, but I'm gonna get out amongst it, go see a few more films and some more celeb's like the gorgeous Will Smith... and other festival goers.. Check it out: http://www.sbfilmfestival.org/ .........ciao amigos  | Currently listening: Here & Now By America Release date: 16 January, 2007 |
| |
No comments:
Post a Comment