 | The days to remember, when they happen, are often profound and so full it simply amazes me.
This one started with a trip to the pool for laps in the morning La La dazzling sunshine. Home to try to finish my Airhead book (dragging on!) and to find GM out for a run on what would be a very special day for her.
This was to be the day of her citizenship, and we were invited to the ceremony.
This I could not miss.
So it was an LA hop, skip and a jump...which means 45 minutes on the frantic freeways...101, change to 110, get off at the LA Convention Centre and find in the maze of central LA the parking , walk a mile, following signs simply stating. CITIZENSHIP>, or NATURALISATION>...
Then I find a hall and walk in to what felt like I always imagined a presidential election campaign hall would be like (as in the movies). There were over 10,000 people, restlessly milling about, most in seats but quite a few of us in the aisle. A barricade of yellow tape set the front 4,500 apart. They were the eligible, and by now, accepted American citizenship candidates.
On the stage was the largest American flag I've seen to date, and a dais for speakers.
Then the speeches - four in number and profoundly moving, I have to admit...:
One speaker quoted Teddy Roosevelt: "We hold in our hands the hopes of the world, and have much to do". He went on to give quite a wonderful, impassioned message, including the following statements.
"Welcome to America. Welcome to the shiny city on the hill. It is the duty of each generation to pass the torch to the next. You are the next. Seize that torch and lead us to a better future".
He and others stated, "Welcome to the greatest republic the world has ever known. A nation of immigrants from every corner of the world, joined under the banner of one flag. Being an American transcends religion, culture, language, education and class. Citizenship is not just about having a piece of paper. it is about being the best person you can be. It is about the pursuit of happiness while also helping others, being generous, sharing the burdens of other nations, striving at times to fight and sometimes dying for the right to equality..."
"Being an American means being an active participant in the government, as informed citizens. Trust in your convictions and change that which you feel is not right. You have that right now. Citizenship is about working hard to better ourselves, and to strive to make a better world for all around us. Value equality, not uniformity. Value opportunity, creativity and diversity, we all have our own story and gifts to share."
"I encourage you to become the best you can be, shining examples to your neighbours. Follow in the footsteps of the many who have emigrated before you. It takes courage, fortitude and strength to leave the country of your birthright. It takes a special person to do that, but it doesn't matter who your ancestors were, it matters what kind of person you will become, as Abraham Lincoln said, " I do not know who my grandfather was, I am more interested in who his grandson will become. And thus I say Welcome to the United States of America, and congratulations on your citizenship...".
Now, maybe to the cynical ears of the Australian psyche, this sounds like hyperbole, propoganda and diatribe. But I was moved, standing there with the auditorium of many...
And as they read the oath together it was incredibly inspiring, frightening and daunting all at once.."I will support and uphold the constitution of America..... I will bear arms, be an armed combatant on behalf of the United States of America when called upon by the government".
Well you get the picture..prophetic words in a country where 2 billion is spent a week in military excursions in the middle east...
Then - as a performer sang the national anthem an old woman literally fell sideways out of her chair right in front of me and smashed her head on the concrete.
The crowd around just stood there frozen..
The ol' fire brigade training snapped me into gear and I leapt forward, and spent the next 15 minutes on the concrete floor drawing her out of her faint and ministering first aid to this diabetic, (dare I say) obese woman in the beginnings of a horrible concussion and mild diabetic seizure until the fire brigade (Hi battalion 12) and then the paramedics took over... Didn't think that was going to happen today.
Then, with her being wheeled away in a paramedic trolley, and before I knew it we were all trailing out of the auditorium in an orderly fashion (much in the fashion of a bovine herd) to stand outside cheer and wave to the new citizens filing out together and parading down on a 'red carpet' arrangement. But the day was getting away with me....
So back onto the freeways.. off to a meeting with the lovely Fran at RSA (so great to catch up).
Then off to Casa Vega (old Rat Pack/Friends hang and wonderful ambiance) for the celebration of Gilli's citizenship
-nand then oddly enough in the same venue Rory's 30th birthday bash! Marguaritas flowed and the Mexican singers serenaded the table of roudy Aussies who then led the serenaders in a version of 'I did it my way' and 'down Mexico way'. ...The American patrons were no doubt mollified by our collective gusto, but we could only sing once again (loudly of course) Happy Birthday when four waiters brought Rory a creme caramel with a candle and cream. They sang Happy Birthday dear 'chicita' and so he shall be known.We also toasted Janneke's successful plea to be duly noted as an Extraordinary Alien! She'll be here soon!!!
Then chat, and chat, and onto FireFly Bar to gabble and chat some more until 1am - and now I must again seek the succor of sleep, exhausted after such a wonderful, diverse day of adventure in this the United States of the bizzare and captivating, but never dull, of America...
Have you seen the David Attenborough Lyre Bird post in UTube? Hilarious!!! |
No comments:
Post a Comment