 | Time has passed in a blur for the past 2 weeks...
Highlights were Don LaFontaine, he of the DEEP voice. Attended a SAG Foundation talk with Jen: He chatted about his work as voice-over artist, discussed his life and told tales of the many many films (over 5000) he's done the trailers for, and celebrities he's met and worked with. To recap - he's the now infamous voice for the trailers ('In a galaxy far far away', 'One man, one world', 'the good the bad, the ugly', 'the man with no name'). Such an entertaining gentleman.
Attended a post production house gathering in Santa Monica also with Jen - and ran into an old pal Ned, who I haven't seen since around 1997! Great to know he and Linda are here, and then went to Marguarita Mix (Sound post) for a bit of fun afterhours record studio style. I have a vague memory of marguaritas flowing, Jen teaching black guys to do the hustle, and everyone taking turns recording a rap track in the booth! Hilarious
Last Sunday I attended the Australian Anzac Day commemoration at LA cemetery, and then a gathering at the Consulate General's abode afterwards. The ceremony was on a mist-laden sunday morning which obscured Los Angeles completely as Jen and I drove there in her convertible mustang. But once on the grass, even the sound of the nearby 405 seemed hushed under the music of the birds in the trees.
So, gathered in the War Veterans cemetary, surrounded by the thousands of crosses weaving out across the fields in a visually alluring optical pattern, a group of Aussies, New Zealanders, a Turkish contingent (lovely touch) and our American hosts remembered and honoured the fallen from years and wars past. Lest We Forget.
I felt uncommonly sad during the ceremony, and realised, that in this unlikely setting I was finally able to say goodbye to Ray these thousands of miles away from my family, having missed his funeral.
After the service a convoy of cars and SUVs trailed up to Brentwood Heights, and to the plush abode of the Governor General. With expansive groomed gardens, a mansion with stunning stone work and weaving patio areas all around, the group wandered, and mingled. We enjoyed beautiful acoustic music by Henry (who it was great to see) and friends. They palyed wonderful versions of the Finn brothers songs, Australian Crawl and so many others... Such a beautiful morning as the sun came out to be eating anzac biscuits, lamingtons, sipping a shandy, and then supping sublime Aussie Red wine. One digger brought the pennies and we played the requisite games of 'two up'. I fleeced some poor guy who could not believe I could score ten 'tails' in a row. I lwalked away while my luck still held clutching my winnings ( a big $10).
Then with a smaller crew (Leah, Erica and blokes) we drove out to Westlake to visit friends of theirs who live in the hills in a gated community (such is a lot of LA). I was so close to Jules Sylverster it seemed prophetic. The landscape of stunning hills is amazing out there, and as the kids played in the pool chasing frogs with the dog we adults sat and chatted as ex-pats do about life experiences in a strange land.
Lunch was a classic aussie fare meat pies, potato salad, and then tim tams, jaffas and a pavlova... a really great group of people to chat to and spend the afternoon with.
This week passed ina frenzy of submissions for work.
Encounter/EtP and G & tGL are all potentials... it would be too arduous (and not of interest really) to recount it all here.. but something will come of all this hard slog soon I know, and then I will finally be able to call this place my new home.
Strangely, last week saw the end of Pink Zinc - what a strange and bizarre situation - out of the blue, but if that's the way it goes, so be it... I have plenty of other things to do. Hoping to get something so I can finally put the Airhead book to bed, it hangs heavy on my mind, but I cannot complete it until the other ($) stuff comes into being. Catch 22. Chicken and Egg that one. Maybe Aquent will finally come through next week.
Also planning the Montana escape...June is approaching fast.... |
No comments:
Post a Comment