 | It's been a mixed bag week....
Raymond Borger R.I.P.
My stepfather finally died after his long protracted battle with the big C, and by all counts it was a hard fight to the bitter end. I think ceaselessly of my Mum, and being so far away from family at a time like this is not easy, but 'life is not always cherry pie', as I was told by a Yank Tank pal the other day...If I want the permanent resident visa to stick i must stay at least these first 6 months, so here I remain despite my heart tugging ceaselessly towards home.
I woke this morning to the sound of heavy rain splashing down the drainpipes and squelching under the wheels of passing cars. Quite uncharacteristic for LA. Took the time to finish writing the Eulogy for Ray's Funeral and felt bleak...
So I arranged to see 'Blades of Glory' with Janneke while Rory's off in Arkansas being a vampire (such is life in the City of Angeles), and it was the best antidote to my 'misery guts' frame of mind...
Afterwards when the freak rainstorm had passed but the clouds still hung heavy in the sky we drove up into the Hollywood Hills and parked off Mullholland Drive. Wrapping our coats about us we walked across Runyon Canyon to look down upon Tinsel Town, now washed clean.
The afternoon sun broke through rolling storm clouds, and the expanse of buildings shone brightly, whitely, all the way down South to the OC.
And then, when we turned back, a stunning rainbow appeared and gleamed in the still dark-grey of the North East sky falling to ground somewhere just behind the Hollywood Sign, making it appear to be the mythical pot of gold...
So Janneke and I took it as a sign doubly meaningful... and we remain hopeful that our dreams will come true...here in La La Land.
Also - on the upside this week Bid and Wizz are in town (and brought me the desired beroccas, vita-weats, tim-tams, twisties, chocolate and aspro-clear, thank you Bid!). So we donned our best garb and went over the hill via the winding Coldwater Canyon to enjoy a sumptious meal at Chaya in Bev' Hills (playing incongruous 90's music) with Jason and Margo... then we went in search of a further contingent of the Canadian Mafia, and found Kevin (Tree) accompanied by Shiva and a gaggle of others at Redrock on Sunset.
Great, blurry night, but the long walk in LA sunshine to pick up the car next day from Wilshire to Sunset was an effort. Damn why did I have a depth charger/shot/beer/French champagne/red wine!?
Explored Sepulveda Reserve this week - Reminds me somewhat of Centennial Park with areas for walking, bikes and blades, plus they have a substantial cricket club, archery area and also a lagoon with ducks etc for families to loll about. Walked the perimeter with Gilli and, as the gals in the house are already doing it, I'm thinking about doing some Golf tuition with Mike -'Tutor to the Stars' - Mum would be proud!
It's been a working week also - I finally initiated the use of my Social Security Card - sure the IRS will be happy about that...contributing to the greater good.
|
No comments:
Post a Comment